Increasing Access to Fresh Local Produce on Buffalo’s East Side
Program Offers Unlimited Match on SNAP Purchases & Invests in East Side Partner
Today Field & Fork Network announced, Double Up Food Bucks NY will increase access to fresh local produce on Buffalo’s East Side, with an unlimited $1 for $1 match on all SNAP eligible purchases at participating locations. The program has removed the existing $20 per-day earning cap allowing residents to earn on all their SNAP purchases now through the end of the year.
“We want to be part of the solution by making it easier for people to access fresh local food and invest in our partners who are working overtime on the East Side. We know there are some in the community that are not ready or don’t want to return to the Tops on Jefferson. With shopping options being extremely limited, we hope this move will give residents greater freedom to shop at alternative locations,” said Lisa French Co- Founder and Executive Director of Field & Fork Network.
When Double Up launched in New York in 2014, Buffalo’s East Side was the first community to embrace the program. One of the first locations offering the program was the Clinton Bailey Farmers Market, a site that continues to be one of our strongest partners today. This neighborhood is extremely important to our staff and board; we want to help in any way we can to
improve food access for the residents.
“For many of us, the East Side is not simply another part of Buffalo or an area we hear about in the news. The East Side was once and will always be home for me. I’m fortunate to be a part of an organization that not only prioritizes the needs of our community, but also embarks on intentional action to aid the community. Field & Fork Network’s commitment to helping those in need get that much closer to food security is a wonderful example of Buffalo rallying crucial support for our own, said Stephanie Tisdale, Field & Fork Network Board Chair.
“My family can trace its roots back to the East Side for over the last 70 years when my grandparents chose Riley St to settle down back in the 1930s. My family still owns their home and is an active part of the upkeep of the community. I’m grateful to serve with an organization that prioritizes long term and sustainable programs that pour directly back into the most vulnerable in our community. Field & Fork Network is a sterling example of why Buffalo is and will continue to be branded as the ‘City of Good Neighbors’,” said Stephon Parker, Field & Fork Network Vice Chair.
What is Double Up Food Bucks NY?
- A federal, state, and privately funded nutrition incentive program that offers anyone with EBT/P-EBT a $1 for $1 match on their SNAP eligible purchases, up to $20 per day, to purchase local fresh produce.
- Double Up provides multiple benefits: it’s a win for local farmers selling more produce; a win for low-income families putting more healthy food on their tables; and a win for area businesses as more food dollars circulate in the local economy.
- The program operates at over 180 sites across New York State including grocery stores, corner stores, mobile markets, farmers markets and farm stands.
- Since launching in 2014, Double Up has served over 38,000 New Yorkers, across 29 counties, resulting in 4.8Mlbs of healthy food sales.
Where can I earn an unlimited SNAP match?
- Clinton Bailey Farmers Market, 1443-1517 Clinton Street
- Urban Fruits & Veggies, multiple mobile market stops, 324 Glenwood Ave
- Buffalo’s Golden Corner, 1715 Jefferson Avenue
- Feedmore WNY Fresh Markets, 2090 Genesee St, multiple mobile stops
- African Heritage Food Co-op, 999 Broadway Street, inside the Broadway Market
Double Up Food Bucks is actively seeking new retail partners to operate the program. Participating retail partners must accept SNAP benefits. If you are interested or would like to recommend a business, please email email@example.com
About Double Up Food Bucks NY
Double Up Food Bucks NY is a statewide nutrition incentive program, administered by Field & Fork Network that provides SNAP participants with a dollar-for-dollar match to increase affordability and access to fresh healthy foods at farmers markets, farm stands, mobile markets, and grocery stores. In New York State, Double Up has contributed to 4.8 million pounds of healthy food sales to over 38,000 customers, at more than 180 sites spanning 29 counties. To learn more about Double Up Food Bucks and a complete list of participating sites, please visit the program website and social media sites, or call 1-800-682-5016. www.doubleupnys.com | Facebook Instagram
About Field & Fork Network
Field & Fork Network is a NYS nonprofit that connects communities to innovative solutions that foster a sustainable food system. To learn more about our work please visit our website and social media sites at: www.fieldandforknetwork.com | Facebook Instagram Twitter